Exploitation of coal in the Raša mine, as one of the mines in Raša coal basin, began in 1928. In Krapan, a settlement near Raša, mining started back in 1626, but only at the time of the Mussolini fascist era exploitation of coal in Raša mine experienced the real expansion. Raša coal basin employed more than 10,000 workers, and the coal basin was distributed to 30 floors with almost 400 km long branching transport corridors. Raša mine was closed in 1966, mainly due to the exhaustion of the site and the all-present crisis.
On the northern side of Pula bay stretches out the former Naval Base Katarina, originally built as part of the Austro-Hungarian defence system of the city of Pula and further extended during Italian rule.
Château de Al Mère is a half-finished castle, meant to be a hotel: construction started in 2000 but was stopped in 2002, after which the structure was turned into a modern ruin. The castle is still waiting for its first guests to arrive…
Here, upon these ghostly shadows of men and women
There are no smiles
Singly, they mingle, with the greyness of the walls
And at strange angels, they travel on to nowhere
The midsection of this building opened in 1912 as Grand Hotel Prealpi. During the First World War the two wings were added and it was converted into a military hospital.