On the northern side of Pula bay stretches out the former Naval Base Katarina, originally built as part of the Austro-Hungarian defence system of the city of Pula and further extended during Italian rule.
The shipwreck Moira Pula is located near the abandoned Katarina Naval Base which was built during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, then became Italian and during WWII it was a base for German U-boats.
The construction of the Mont`Alto Sanatorium began in 1932. Due to the appearance of a large number of people who had contracted tubercolosis, it was necessary to expand the facilities, and these enlargement works were completed in 1958. This sanatorium was the last one built in Portugal.
The monastery of Santa Maria de Cegonha was built around 1162 and was hosted until 1834 as a center for philosophical studies of the Cistercian Order.
Huize Rust en Vreugde was built in baroque style in 1913 as a copy of the 18th century hunting lodge of the kings of Denmark. That hunting lodge was called Hermitage Klampenborg.
‘Rich farmers built huge houses with large estates, while the workers had to bite on a piece of wood.’