Here, upon these ghostly shadows of men and women
There are no smiles
Singly, they mingle, with the greyness of the walls
And at strange angels, they travel on to nowhere
Mono Orphanage, a.k.a. Crying Baby Hospital, is an abandoned orphanage at the Italian-Swiss border. Until the 1970s, nuns prayed, lived and taught to the orphans here. The children mainly came here to cure tuberculosis.
The midsection of this building opened in 1912 as Grand Hotel Prealpi. During the First World War the two wings were added and it was converted into a military hospital.
Volterra Psychiatric Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital in the city of Volterra. Founded in 1888, the hospital was known for its brutal treatment of inmates. It remained open until 1978, when it was closed following the passage of Law 180, which directed the closing down of all existing psychiatric hospitals.
This originally was a mental hospital which was run by a religious order.
This abandoned structure in Krvavica was a Children’s Health Resort from 1964 until the end of the 80’s. Many of the children who stayed at the seaside resort by the Makarska Riviera suffered from asthma or so-called ‘weak lungs’.